Comfort food! Chicken pot pie totally falls under that category. Whether they’re homemade or frozen, I have always loved them. Here is my recipe below. I did make a crust from scratch, but I would definitely recommend using a pre-made pie crust. IT IS SO MUCH EASIER!
2 Chicken breasts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried ground thyme
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 small onion, small dice
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bag frozen peas & carrots, thawed
1 can corn, drained
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. milk
TT salt & pepper
2 store bought crusts
1 egg + splash of milk (for egg wash)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the marinade ingredients in either a ziplock bag or container big enough to fit your chicken. Add in the chicken and let it marinade for about 10 minutes.
2. Bake the chicken for 25 minutes or until it reached 165 degrees internally.
3. As your chicken is baking, heat up a skillet with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Saute your onions until they are translucent. Then add in the minced garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add in the thawed veggies (I had a microwavable steamed bag and followed those instructions) and the drained corn.
5. Once everything has been thoroughly mixed together, add in the butter and let that melt. Then add in the flour. This will create the roux that will make the gravy.
6. Stir everything together really well. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow the raw flour taste to cook out. It’s not going to look pretty at the stage, but once the liquid is added, everything will be fine.
7. Pour in the chicken broth and stir it in. Then pour in the milk and stir that as well. If you find your sauce is thicker than you’d like, you can always add in more chicken broth or milk. Make sure you taste it to check the seasoning!
8. By this time, your chicken should be done. Dice your chicken into bite size pieces or shred it and add it into the filling mixture.
9. Heat the oven to 450. Use a pie dish and put your bottom crust down. Pour in your filling and then place your second crust on top. You can fancy crimp your edges or use a fork to seal it. Cut three slits on the top crust. Brush the crust with the egg wash for a golden brown finish. Bake for 25 minutes.
10. Allow to cool for 7-10 minutes and serve!