This is one of Gabriel’s favorite soups! I’ve only had it a few times, but the ingredients are pretty simple so I figured it wouldn’t be hard to make. It turned out to be super delicious and we loved the addition of the pasta (orecchiette)!
1 lb. Ground Mild Sausage
1 medium yellow onion, medium diced
2 medium potatoes, large diced
1 bunch of kale
3 garlic cloves, grated
16 oz. package of pasta (I used orecchiette, but you could use elbow noodles or something else on the smaller side)
3 32 oz. boxes of chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream
drizzle of olive oil
TT Salt & Pepper
1. In a hot dutch oven or big pot, drizzle in a bit of oil and add in the ground sausage. Break it up a bit with your spoon or spatula.
2. Once the sausage is fully cooked, remove it from the pot and add in the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
4. Add in your large diced potatoes and then 2 of the 3 chicken broth boxes.
6. Add in the pasta and at about half the cooking time, add in the kale. We ripped it off the stem and ripped the leave in bite size pieces. This pasta took 12 minutes so at 6 minutes, I put in the kale.
7. Once it’s all cooked, add in the cooked sausage, the 3rd broth box and the cup of heavy cream. Adjust your seasonings, and don’t forget to crack in some fresh pepper.
8. Serve with or without Parmesan cheese and enjoy!