This a family favorite! They always request it at Thanksgiving and since I’m married, we rotate holidays. Often, when I miss thanksgiving with my side of the family, they ask that I make it when we have our Christmas Eve party! I love that they love it so much!
1 medium-size butternut squash, big chunks
2 small yellow onions, large dice
2 large garlic cloves, rough chop
1/4 c. olive oil
48 oz. chicken broth
1 c. heavy whipping cream
TT salt, pepper
TT garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne (for some heat)
1. Poke holes using a fork into the butternut squash and microwave whole for 5 minutes. The stuff that oozes out is totally normal, btw.
2. Cut into more manageable chunks and peel off the skin. Peel and dice the onions and garlic.
3. In a pot or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil and saute the veggies until tender (about 10 minutes).
4. Add in the chicken broth and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
5. After simmering, you are ready to blend! You can use a blender or an immersion blender. I have used both and they both work so well!
6. If you are dairy-free, you can season and simmer to allow the flavors to develop. If you want to add in the cream, do so and season and simmer. After every few minutes, taste to check on your salt level. The cayenne really depends on how much heat you like. I like using it because the heat doesn’t hit you until after you swallow.
7. You can garnish with some cream and herbs and enjoy this yummy bowl of fall!