This is my FAVORITE soup from Olive Garden and I have always wanted to make it at home. This is my version. As for the gnocchi, I made it once a long time ago in a cooking class, but I would not say that makes me any kind of expert. If you make the gnocchi, then I’d say that this is the kind of soup you take a Saturday or Sunday afternoon to make. You can also buy the already made gnocchi to speed up the process!
Click here for the gnocchi recipe
This recipe makes A LOT, so you’ll only need about 1/3 of what this makes.
A lot of these soup ingredients were what I happened to have at home. I’ll make notes of what else you could add if you wanted to.
1 c. diced carrots
2 c. diced yellow onions
1 c. celery (I didn’t have this, but it would be great in there)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bone-in chicken thighs
2 chicken legs
5 Handfuls of fresh baby spinach
32 oz. box of Chicken broth
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. heavy cream
TT Salt and Pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs fresh thyme or parsley (I also didn’t have this herb, but it would also be good)
3 Tbs flour
2 1/2 c. gnocchi
1. Dice all veggies. In a dutch oven or a big pot, add in 2 Tbs olive oil, veggies, season with salt. Cook for about 7 minutes.
2. Add in the chicken, chicken broth, and water. Cover and simmer until chicken is done.
3. Remove the chicken, add in the heavy cream, baby spinach poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Taste to adjust seasonings. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a small pan, make a roux. In the pan add in 3 Tbs olive oil and 3 Tbs flour. Cook until it’s a golden brown. Add into the soup. Simmer for another 5 minutes. The purpose for this is so that the soup can thicken.
5. Once the chicken is cool, remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred with your hands. Add the chicken back into the soup.
6. When the soup is boiling, add in the fresh gnocchi (or packaged) and cover with lid. Once the gnocchi is floating, they are done and are ready to serve. If you have any fresh herbs, now would be the time to add it in.
7. Serve with bread or add in Parmesan cheese or just eat it as is and enjoy!