We have a lot of basil growing and Gabriel has been wanting to trim it down. I started to think of the different ways to use basil and remembered how easy this recipe is! It’s one of those recipes that is so easy yet it makes you feel so fancy when served as an hors d’oeuvre for a get together!
This particular recipe is for a party of two, but can easily be doubled or tripled for a bigger crowd.
1/2 A French Baguette (this recipe fit on 11 slices)
1 TBS butter
1 Large garlic clove, minced
1 Medium tomato, seeded and small diced
1/4 c. Fresh chopped basil (not a packed cup)
1/2 c. Shredded mozzarella
1/2 tsp. Salt
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in small bowl and add minced garlic. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the bread with the garlic butter mixture. Bake for 5-6 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combined the seeded and diced tomatoes, freshly chopped basil, 1/4 cup mozzarella, and salt.
4. When the bread it done, top with a spoonful of mixture. Repeat until the tomato mixture is gone. Top each bread with a little extra cheese and drizzle the olive oil over them all.
5. Bake for another 5-6 minutes until the bread starts to golden. I also broiled it for another minute or so. You’ll have to keep watch to make sure it doesn’t burn because broiling can escalate things very quickly.
6. When they’re done, the bread should be crunchy and the cheese should be melty and the tomatoes and basil should be very aromatic! Enjoy!